The Med Shed
What NHS career would suit you?

Clinical Scientist in Embryology


You work at Hull Women and Children’s Hospital helping families who cannot have children. Today your job starts at 9am when you collect eggs from a woman. These eggs will be fertilised in the laboratory using IVF in the hope that it will give the woman and her partner their longed-for child. All morning, you see other patients, checking their fertility levels and carrying out other tests.

In the afternoon, you write up your reports and discuss your findings with clinical colleagues. Your job is hugely satisfying, with great opportunities to specialise in areas you find interesting.


You’re interested in science, medicine and computing, and love using the latest technology. You can concentrate for long periods of time, pay attention to detail and have good problem-solving skills.


You’ll usually need a minimum of five 9-4 (A*-C) grade GCSEs (or the equivalent), including maths, English and two science subjects. Then, you’ll be all set to apply for at least two A-Levels (or the equivalent) at college or 6th form.

You’ll need to apply for a science-based degree course at university, such as biology, microbiology or genetics. Usually, you’ll need at least two A-Levels (or equivalent level 3 qualifications), so it’s vital to check university entry requirements well in advance.

After university, you’d need to apply for a place on the NHS Scientist Training Programme when you work and study to become a clinical scientist in reproductive science (which includes embryology).

Welcome to Med Shed.

An interactive resource to help you find your career with us in the local NHS.

There’s a lot to see and lots to explore so come back and visit us regularly…